What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof? Just staying on it I guess, long as she can.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Central St Martins MA Show at LFW

Images courtesy of style.com

I've always been fascinated by Central St Martin's, as I almost sashayed down the route of art and fashion design myself when younger, and I think a little bit of me would still quite like to pursue a career in the creative arts. I thought the collections were, on the whole, incredibly good. I enjoyed the back-to-basics emphasis on the shape, cut and geometry of clothing. The young designers also marched ahead trends-wise, focusing on holistic monochrome and minimalism.

MA Graduate Lilly Heine's collection stood out for me (above). Her inspiration apparently came from aspects of Brancusi's work and Picasso's naive sketches and studies of curvaceous women. (Surely a curvaceous woman is always something to applaud in fashion?!). I particularly like the introduction of an almost pale lilac tone into the earthier tones of the collection.

Etching by Picasso, 1968


Another etching by Picasso, 1968

Constantin Brancusi, 'The Kiss' 1916

Heine's collection also reminds me of the pages of a book.

1 comment:

Susan said...

What a curiously fabulous blog! Love the Picasso sketches.