What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof? Just staying on it I guess, long as she can.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Quilted.

Now I never thought I'd find quilts interesting, although I do admit I'm a massive fan of curling up in mine to sleep! But the V&A exhibition that begins on March 20th looks really good. It is called "Quilts, 1700-2010" and will feature 65 carefully-chosen pieces. They will be arranged chronologically and thematically. The themes are 'The Domestic Landscape', 'Private Thoughts, Public Debates', 'British Eccentricity', ' Making a Living' and 'Memory and Memorial'. I like the juxtaposition of public thoughts and private thoughts. I'll post again when I've seen it. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations.

'At the end of the day' - hanging by Natasha Kerr, 2007
V&A website


The Rajah Quilt was made by British women who were convicts on board the HMS Rajah in 1841. It bears the inscription: ‘To the ladies of the convict ship committee, this quilt worked by the convicts of the ship Rajah during their voyage to van Dieman’s Land is presented as a testimony of the gratitude with which they remember their exertions for their welfare while in England and during their passage and also as a proof that they have not neglected the ladies kind admonitions of being industrious. June 1841.’ How wonderful that such a beautiful quilt was created from such awful circumstances.

And as I write, explore and think, my prejudice about quilts has been unearthed as naive. For surely in this day-and-age (sounding like a pensioner, check) anything can be considered an art form. A quilt should not be an exception. And grudgingly, yes Tracy Emin's work comes under this banner.

To Meet My Past, Tracy Emin 2002
V&A website

Right to Life, Grayson Perry 1998
Reminding us of the political application of art.

I brought a beautiful hand-made quilt home from Guatemala, which I have along the back of my bed. When I bought it, I had a long conversation in broken Spanish with the woman who had made it and she told me all about how she made it and where she sourced the dyes and fabrics. I wish I could remember the details.

Quilts and blankets for sale in Flores, Guatemala

A large patchwork quilt in Flores again. I think these cost about £30.

I've always wanted to make one of those patchwork quilts where every square means something to you. A square of your crib blanket as a baby, a patch of your summer dress from junior school, a hand-embroidered poem on a square, a patch of Liberty print etc. In fact, I'm going to add that to my house-high list of things to do when I have the time. That will be when I retire then...

No comments: