What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof? Just staying on it I guess, long as she can.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Marc Jacobs AW10

I know that I'm 'late' in terms of posting on the latest catwalk shows as MJ happened a week ago now, but hey. I really enjoyed the archaic tone of the show - Marc himself freeing the models from their brown paper cage where they were standing to attention like an assembly of soldiers partaking in drill. Accessories were great - especially the evacuee look of never-white casual socks-and-sandals and the tinted glasses.

Jacobs said after the show "It's refreshing to see something that isn't trying so hard to be new," and I really agree. For everything must be new to some extent - you can't stand in the same stream twice. And here I could open a can of worms and ask 'what is the overall point of fashion?' Is it to please the consumer and produce a look and collection that people will want to purchase and wear? Or is the aim to fill a collection with the designer's inspirations, create more of an art-form? I guess it follows a spectrum - some designers like Comme des Garcons couture pander to the latter objective, whereas some designers, such as Marc Jacobs in this collection satisfy the former.

A dreamy ambiance is created with the soundtrack of 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'. My favourite elements? The juxtaposition of ill-fitting grey tweed and glamorous sequins, chunky knits with velvetty textures, the neutral colour palette, and the fairytale dresses at the end of the show that remind me of the array of acrylics left on Van Gogh's easel from his painting 'Starry Night'.




No comments: