What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof? Just staying on it I guess, long as she can.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Drug #2491 - Empowerment.


You can fool some people sometimes,
But you can't fool all the people all the time.
So now we see the light,
We gonna stand up for our rights!

I felt in need for something empowering, and this has done the trick. It was actually the last song that Bob Marley sang before he died in 1981, which I find quite fitting as his last message. I wanted a live version because I wanted to see it in its embodiment as a vessel of communication. I think this song is supposed to be received by many ears, and just by being there in presence, the crowd becomes active in the song's resounding message against political oppression. I love how the lazily slow pace of the song and the simplicity of the monosyllabic lyrics contrasts dramatically with the depth of history it implicitly refers to.

No comments: