What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof? Just staying on it I guess, long as she can.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What is under your feet?



I read in the news yesterday that 'soil scientists' who analysed the soil for its insect content have discovered that over the last 10 years, the number of invertebrates in UK soil has increased by a gigantic 47%! This is despite a concurrent fall in species diversity and mass human destruction of habitats across the world. Scientists say that they can't yet predict whether this increase in soil-dwelling insects will be beneficial or not, although it is almost certainly due to an increase in average temperatures and rainfall.

It is strange to think that under our feet, the soil holds a metropolis of life. We tend to live our lives ignorant of other species, yet they are often more abundant than us, we just make more noise. When I was a child I used to love lifting up the rocks from the rockery in our garden, and capturing the insects underneath in a bucket. Worms, woodlice, tiny snails, earwigs, and the crown jewels - centipedes or millipedes. I know that when I have children I shall encourage them to get filthy in the garden and explore nature. Scuffed knees and muddy hands will be the uniform of the day, and the great outdoors our playground.


No comments: