What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof? Just staying on it I guess, long as she can.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

To become.


Ludovico Einaudi is an Italian pianist and composer. I recently discovered his music, and it is now an integral part of my daily life. I generally listen to Einaudi whilst studying, and find that his music is calming and peaceful as well as vibrant and creative. The track in the video above, Divenire, (which is the verb to become in English) is a beautiful piece of music. I also recommend: Le Onde, Eden Roc, I Giorni, and Dietro Casa. Below is another of my favourite tracks: Oltremare (which means overseas in English). 



This is the view from my bedroom window at my parents' house one evening back in the summer. I loved the rolling pink-tinted clouds, and find it quite fitting for the piece of music.



When I listen to Einaudi play, I feel that he is totally absorbed by the music, putting his whole soul into its composition and tone.

You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you."
- Maya Angelou

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.Alfred Lord Tennyson
For me, I think I have only recently found 'passions' to absorb me so. Studying Experimental Psychology and Neuroscience really inspire me, and the discipline as a whole entices me for its potential to make greatleaps of science and pioneering discovery. I have also taken up rowing as a past-time, which helps me to focusand settle down to studying during the week. Being out on the water is incredibly peaceful, especially at dawnwhen the dawn chorus is in full swing and the sun casts itself over the river.
  My crew training on the river one morning.

1 comment:

JJ said...

Great music. I don't know this pianist, but I will soon. Thanks so much!